- Expertise in advocacy and communications with policy and legal experience in education, criminal justice, and immigration/migration
- Specializing in an intersectional framework of racial equity as well as gender analysis
- Skills in writing and research, building and coordinating community, and facilitating dialogue
EDUCATION AND LICENSURE
EXPERIENCE – POLICY AND ADVOCACY
Equity in All Places – New Orleans, LA
- Developed and implemented the organization’s projects and funding, provided strategic direction, established organization as 501c3, and supervised volunteers/interns.
- Researched and produced small and large-scale reports that encouraged evidence-based and place-based approaches in education equity, as well as issue briefs, news releases, and other communications materials.
- Collaborated with partner organizations and stakeholders to strategize and create a collective approach to impact policies that address the school-to-prison pipeline, including a social media campaign.
- Attended relevant education and government meetings and distilled key information.
- Wrote content and curricula for anti-oppression and racial healing trainings
Policy Director, May 2008 – June 2010
Public Policy Center, Ohio Commission on Hispanic Latino Affairs – Columbus, Ohio
- Established the Public Policy Center program of the Commission and oversaw its operations, including its role and function, strategic plans, supervision of staff and interns, and budget.
- Monitored, researched and, evaluated state, national, and international laws and policies regarding Latinos, migrants, and immigrants and directed staff and stakeholders regarding communications strategy, engagement, and national alignment.
- Wrote press releases, web content, issue briefs, reports and held forums, presentations, press conferences and lobby days in order to communicate persuasive positions.
- Built networks and alliances, cultivated relationships, and collaborated with legislators, government agencies, civil society organizations, community leaders, and news agencies.
- Represented Commission at legislative hearings, meetings, and as a member of coalitions.
Liaison Officer, Feb 2004 – Aug 2006
Ohio Commission on Hispanic Latino Affairs – Columbus, Ohio
- Gathered and disseminated information regarding organizations, programs, and events.
- Managed communication between the Commission, public, and legislature.
- Reviewed, analyzed, and compiled state and national data concerning Latinos, migrants, and immigrants.
- Executed qualitative and quantitative assessments of the needs and priorities of Ohio Latinos.
- Researched and drafted internal and external informational materials regarding policy.
Constituent Aide, June 2001 – June 2003
The Ohio Senate, Senator Leigh Herington’s Office – Columbus, Ohio
Legislative Intern, Sept – Dec 2006
Ohio House Democratic Caucus – Columbus, Ohio
City of Columbus Prosecutor’s Office – Columbus, Ohio
- Arraigned defendants, negotiated plea agreements, and made recommendations to the presiding magistrate regarding sentencing in traffic misdemeanor cases.
- Represented the city of Columbus during court trials and researched, crafted and filed motions regarding the admission and suppression of evidence.
- Researched, reviewed, and summarized appellate decisions of cases involving misdemeanors.
Juvenile Defense Intern, Sept ‘07 – May ‘08
Justice for Children Legal Clinic – Columbus, Ohio
- Served as the legal representative of several juvenile clients under the supervision of a licensed attorney in immigration and criminal matters. Obtained favorable immigration certifications, plea agreements, and rulings for clients.
Immigration Law Intern, Jan’08 – March ‘08
Office of Dennis Muchnicki, Esq – Columbus, Ohio
- Completed immigration applications, researched legal issues and legislative history and prepared memorandums on a variety of immigration matters, such as removal proceedings, refugee and asylum status, and marriage visas.
Corporate Theft Investigator, July 2003-February 2004
Nordstrom – Columbus, Ohio
Organizational Development Officer, September 2010 – November 2012
Peace Corps – Mokolo, Cameroon, Africa
- Designed and implemented a media project, “Communicating Change,” to facilitate the establishment of a women’s rights organization.
- Collaborated with local health institutions, government bodies, NGOs and local prison to provide and execute income-generating projects, trainings, workshops, and services.
- Drafted advocacy organization’s communication, action and strategy plans, statutes and by-laws; and facilitated development of mission, roles, and functions.
- Conducted interviews and wrote case narratives of local female prisoners.
Reform Immigration for America, Organizing Consultant – Aided and advised RIFA organizers on strategies and organizing tactics and strategies in Ohio
Lindy Boggs Literacy Center, Loyola University Research and Writer – Researched federal, state and local policy issues and created a series of issue briefs on five areas of focus
Tulane University Center for Public Service, Facilitator – Created modules on racial equity and advocacy and facilitated two sessions
Tulane University Public Service Fellows Program, Evaluator – Conducted an equity assessment of the program’s field manual, course syllabus, and trainings
Tulane Public Service Fellows Program, Facilitator -Training Community Engagement Advocates on peer facilitation on issues of race and equity
SELECTED TRAININGS FACILITATED
- “Healing Oppression and Practicing Equity (HOPE)” (New Orleans, LA; Ongoing)
- “Leveraging partnerships for action and measurable change outside, within and after the Pre-school to Prison Pipeline,” A Gathering of Leaders (New Orleans, LA; September 2015)
- “Place Matters for Health in New Orleans: Ensuring Opportunities for Good Health for All,” American Public Health Association (New Orleans, LA; November 2014)
- “Equity in Action” (Tulane University, New Orleans, LA; May 2017)
- “Racial Reconciliation through Dialogue” (Mayor’s events, New Orleans, LA; Sept-Oct 2016)
- “Working with Diverse Americans” (Peace Corps national staff meeting, Cameroon, 2011)
- “Diversity U and You” (Peace Corps volunteer training, Cameroon, 2012)
SELECTED TRAININGS AND RETREATS ATTENDED
- Undoing Racism; People’s Institute for Survival and Beyond, October 2015
- Winter Institute and Welcome Table Collaboration, October 2015 – May 2016
- Race and Equity Institute; Tulane University, February-May 2017
- Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion; Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (October 2017 – present)
- Deer Park Monastery POC Retreat (August 2016)
- “Deepening Awareness & Strengthening Community–An Insight Meditation Retreat”with Ruth King on awakening through race (September 2017)
- Culture of Health Fellow with the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (2017-2020)
- League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC) inductee to Advocacy Hall of Fame (2010)
- 90-Hr Yoga Teacher Certification and Trained in Restorative Yoga Techniques
- Coordinator of New Orleans Engaged Buddhism Collective
- Donation-based yoga at community centers
- Mindfulness and creative writing in Orleans Parish Jail